Finally… the first official day of Spring has arrived. Days are longer and the sun is chasing away those chilly days of winter. Many of us approach spring with the urge to do some serious spring cleaning and bring more lightness into our home!
Check out these TWELVE things you can do to begin simplifying your home and your life... RIGHT NOW!
1. Clean out under your bathroom sink(s).
2. Make sure all lights are in working order. Change to energy-efficient bulbs.
Once our clients settle into their new, smaller homes, they find they have more time to do things and tell us..."I should have downsized ages ago!"
- These days seems everyone we talk to is either going on a trip or returning from one!
Watch people at airports and bus depots struggle with multiple suitcases and packages and you can begin to see how important it is to...LIGHTEN UP before you travel!
- Half-way through the 1970's the "More-with-Less Cookbook" found its way into my family's home, a project hatched in the world-wide Mennonite community as it wrestled with issues of personal responsibility in a world plagued by food shortages.
- Never in my life had I seen a basement work so hard for a home-owner. It sported a pool table, a wall unit, comfy sofa and chairs, half a dozen garment racks filled with half a dozen decades of favoured garments, a wine cellar, a tool room, an office, a pantry, overflow storage for shoes, grandmother's dishes, paper files, office supplies, photo albums, family archives, supplies to do with entertaining, gardening, gift-wrapping, flower-arranging, photo-framing, and of course, seasonal decorations.
- The house I used to live in had a modest basement fireplace, complete with electrical outlet, to power some kind of small electric heater, long gone. The wood mantel was designed in the 1920's, one of my favourite design eras, and was easily detached from the wall, painted and re-purposed in an upstairs bedroom, as a headboard.
- One of the best moments of any downsizing project is the moment when the floor plan falls into place: a well-loved table finds a spot, a favourite chair, a useful chest of drawers. A good floor plan will allow one's life to continue on smoothly, in its different dimensions.
No matter where you live, it seems you’re always bringing stuff into your home. The upcoming holiday season always seems to bring new things into your house!
We learn life lessons from everything we do!
As we prepared to sell our family cottage, there were a lot of lessons to be learned. Here are SEVEN of them: